Introduction to Creative Nonfiction (Online)
Course Code: ENGL 0930-S01 CRN: 60012
Creative Nonfiction: Writing the World is for students with a serious interest in writing narrative essays based on fact, research, interviews, and memory. Through assignments and revisions, students will hone their investigative, analytical, and creative skills, inspired by close readings of 20th century nonfiction writers, including Jamaica Kinkaid, Annie Dillard, John McPhee, and David Foster Wallace. This course is a prerequisite to advanced creative nonfiction writing courses in the Department of English and satisfies the Writing Requirement at Brown University.
Students will explore and apply the techniques and narrative structures of creative nonfiction. Reading and writing focus on personal essays, memoir, science writing, travel writing, and other related subgenres. May serve as preparation for ENGL 1180. Writing sample may be required.
Learn more about your instructor for this course.
This course is open to Brown undergraduates and qualified Visiting Undergraduates only. The duration, course credit, and fees associated with the course are the same as residential Summer Session courses, which are the equivalent of full-semester Brown University courses, offered in a condensed, seven-week format.
Brown undergraduate online courses are NOT self-paced, independent learning experiences; they are facilitated by Brown instructors. To complete an online course successfully, students are encouraged to engage with the course daily (at a time of their choosing) to keep up with required weekly and sometimes daily assignments. Plan to spend approximately 20-25 hours per week on coursework. Students do not need to be on Brown's campus to participate in this course. Learn more about what it is like to take an online course at Brown and view technical requirements at: brown.edu/go/whatisonlinelike.
To view a fuller course description, please visit the Summer Session Course Catalog.
- Computer with reliable, high-speed internet connection
- Up-to-date Internet browser supported by Canvas, Brown's learning management system
- Camera for still and video images (or smartphone)
- Headphones, earbuds or speakers
- Webcam and microphone
- Adobe Flash Player browser plugin (Course elements may require Flash and will not work on an iPad.)
- Word Processing application to save and open Microsoft Office formats (.doc,.docx, .xls, .xlsx, .ppt, .pptx)
- Courses can also be accessed on tablets and mobile devices. These devices can be used as supplemental access points in order to complete most coursework.
This course is open to Brown undergraduates and qualified Visiting Undergraduates only.
When: 7 weeks. June 26, 2017 - August 11, 2017
Registration for Brown undergraduates opens March 31st.