Meeting of Curators on International Slavery
Friday, February 21, 2014
10:00am - 5:00pm
The Center for Public Humanities and Cultural Hertiage, the Center for the Study of Slavery and Justice and the John Carter Brown Library welcome public attendance at the following meeting of Curators on International Slavery. RSVP to morning and evening sessions is required. Please see the schedule and speakers below.
10:00am-1:00pm Roundtable discussion: Curating Slavery, Archives, & History This roundtable will explore individual’s experience working projects related to the history and exhibition of slavery. We are asking each person to come prepared to speak for 15 minutes about a particular project, which the group will discuss.
- Malick W. Ghachem, Associate Professor of History at Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Roquinaldo Ferreira, Associate Professor History Department & Portuguese and Brazilian Studies, Brown University
- Nancy Bercaw, Curator, National Museum of African American History & Culture
- Anna-Karina Caudevilla, Secretary General in Charge of International Relations, Les Anneaux de la Mémoire
Facilitated by Anthony Bogues, Director Center for the Study of Slavery and Justice at Brown University
RSVP for the AM session is required: Register HERE.
(1:00-2:30 PM Meeting break)
2:30-5:00pm Roundtable discussion: History/Histories and the Production of Knowledge In this roundtable discussion speakers will discuss how as historians they have engaged with the making of exhibitions and public history. Here the questions will be: What is the relationship between history and exhibitions? What kinds of histories are produced by formal historians and are these alternative or different histories produced by the exhibitions? What is the relationship between the two?
- Jean-Marc Masseaut Shackles of Memory (Nantes)
- Alejandro de la Fuente, Director, Institute of Afro-Latin American Studies, Harvard University
- Paul Gardullo Curator, African Slave Wrecks project, National Museum of African American History & Culture
- Wayne Modest, Head of the Curatorial Department, Tropenmuseum (Amsterdam)
Facilitated by: Neil Safier, Director, John Carter Brown Library
RSVP for the PM session is required: Register HERE.