To apply to become a Beckman Scholar, the Brown undergraduate student must:
- be a permanent U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- be enrolled full-time
- be a sophomore or junior
- have declared concentration in biology or chemistry OR be enrolled in the eight-year Program for Liberal Medical Education (PLME)
- have at least a 3.8 overall GPA
- commit to conducting research 35 hours per week for 10 weeks over the course of two summers and 10 hours per week during the intervening year
Applicants must supply:
- A completed electronic application form
- A curriculum vitae
- A two-page personal statement that includes academic attainment and career goals, research interests, and aims for, and expectations of, the Beckman Scholar experience
- Two faculty letters of recommendation
- A research proposal that identifies a potential MBL and Brown faculty mentor and outlines project rationale, hypothesis, research methods, and anticipated outcomes, including publication goals
All application materials, except the application form, shall be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A selected group will be interviewed in the final decision phase. The committee will select two Beckman Scholars based on the strength of their application, as well as their oral communication skills.