How to Apply: Visiting Student Program
1. Review the guidelines outlined in Taking Courses as a Visiting Student
2. Select Your Course
- Using Banner, identify the course(s) you wish to take.
- Review the course prerequisites, if any, and be sure that you have the experience to be successful in the course. If you have questions about your qualifications for taking a course, contact the instructor or the department offering the course.
- Make note of the course meeting time and location.
- Make note of the Course Code (departmental code and course number, e.g. BIOL 0200) and name of the course you wish to take. You will need this information to complete your application.
3. Assemble required application materials
Prepare the following materials for submission via the online application form, as indicated in step 4, below. If you have taken a course at Brown as a Visiting Student within the previous two semesters and wish to resume study as a Visiting Student, you may skip to step 4 without submitting any additional materials.
A. Transcripts: Official transcript(s) from the high school or college/university at which you are currently or were most recently enrolled.
B. Personal Statement: Please describe your interest in taking coursework at Brown University. Please identify the specific course(s) you wish to take, and be sure to state how your experience meets any listed prerequisites, if any, of the course(s).
C. Letter of support:
AICU students: Letter of good standing from your Dean on your university’s letterhead indicating that the course you are requesting is not available at your home institution and that you are approved to enroll in this course and to transfer the credit.
Post-Doctoral Fellows: Letter from your department stating that you are a postdoctoral fellow and that all the fees associated with taking a course—application fee and course fee—will be covered by your department, program, or grant.
All others: Letter from an individual who can testify to your academic interests, your level of commitment to those interests, and your capacity to be successful in the course you wish to take. (You may scan your recommendation letter and upload it in your application, or ask your recommender to email us directly at email@example.com.)
4. Complete the Visiting Student Application »
Click the “Visiting Student Application” link above to begin. Please also note that a $75 application fee will be assessed during this process (if you are an AICU Language Consortium student or a Postdoctoral Fellow, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for fee waiver instructions before beginning your application).
Once the Admissions Committee has reviewed your application, you will receive a decision by email.
If you are accepted as a Visiting Student, you will receive detailed instructions outlining the steps you must take to complete your course registration, including how to obtain your instructor's approval to take the course, deliver forms to the Registrar, and activate access to a course website, if needed.
Please note that Visiting Student enrollment is approved on a semester-by-semester basis. Enrollment does not imply admission to candidacy for a Brown University degree.