How to Apply: Visiting Student Program
Fall 2015 semester begins September 3, 2015.
Applications for Fall will be accepted starting July 1, and are best received by August 3, but will be accepted until the start of the term.
Application Fee: $75
Tuition per course: $6,034
Audit Fee: $1,000
Application Fee: $75
Tuition per course: $3,508
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 401-863-7900
(M-F, 8am-5pm EST).
1. Review the guidelines outlined in Taking Courses as a Visiting Student
2. Select Your Course
1. Using Banner, Brown’s detailed course search tool, identify the course(s) you wish to take. In the left-hand search fields:
- Select the Term from the drop-down menu
- Select the Subject from the drop-down menu (departments are listed by four-letter departmental code and by name)
- Enter the course number in the Course Number field, or just click Search to generate a list of courses offered by the selected department in the selected term
- Click the course you want to view
- Confirm that there are seats available in the course (red text at the top of the course description).
2. Review the course prerequisites, if any, and be sure that you have the experience to be successful in the course. If you have questions about your qualifications for taking a course, contact the instructor or the department offering the course.
3. Make note of the course meeting time and location.
4. Make note of the Course Code (departmental code and course number, e.g. BIOL 0200) and name of the course you wish to take. You will need this information to complete your application.
3. Assemble required application materials
Prepare the following materials for submission via the online application form, as indicated in step 4, below. If you have taken a course at Brown as a Visiting Student within the previous two semesters and wish to resume study as a Visiting Student, skip to step 4; no additional materials are required.
1. Transcripts: Official transcript(s) from the high school or college/university at which you are currently or were most recently enrolled.
2. Personal Statement: Please describe your interest in taking coursework at Brown University. Please identify the specific course(s) you wish to take, and be sure to state how your experience meets any listed prerequisites, if any, of the course(s).
3. Letter of support:
AICU students: Letter of good standing from your Dean on your university’s letterhead indicating that the course you are requesting is not available at your home institution and that you are approved to enroll in this course and to transfer the credit.
Post-Doctoral Fellows: Letter from your department stating that you are a postdoctoral fellow and that all the fees associated with taking a course—application fee and course fee—will be covered by your department, program, or grant.
All others: Letter from an individual who can testify to your academic interests, your level of commitment to those interests, and your capacity to be successful in the course you wish to take.
Note for International Students: Nonimmigrant students are required to possess a visa for study at Brown. Please contact our office at email@example.com for further details.
4. Complete the Visiting Student Application »
Click the “Visiting Student Application” link above to begin. Please submit your application and all required materials at least one month prior to the start of a term. Please also note that a $75 application fee will be assessed during this process (if you are an AICU Language Consortium student or a Postdoctoral Fellow, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for fee waiver instructions before beginning your application).
5. Complete Your Course Registration
Once the Admissions Committee has reviewed your application, you will receive a decision by email.
If you are accepted as a Visiting Student, you will receive detailed instructions outlining the steps you must take to complete your course registration, including how to obtain your instructor's approval to take the course, deliver forms to the Registrar, and activate access to a course website, if needed.
Please note that Visiting Student enrollment is approved on a semester-by-semester basis. Enrollment does not imply admission to candidacy for a Brown University degree.