Taking Courses as a Visiting Student
Which Courses May I Take?
View the Brown University Course Catalog (“Banner”) for a full listing of courses for current terms, including meeting dates and times, prerequisites, and current enrollment. A listing of summer courses is also available on the Summer Session website.
- Visiting Students may take a maximum of two courses in any one term.
- First priority for enrollment is given to Brown degree candidates; therefore, Visiting Students may not enroll in “limited enrollment” or most “special permission required” courses.
- Check the course catalog listing for any course prerequisites; if there are any, please note in your statement of interest which coursework in your past experience meets those requirements.
- If you have questions about specific course content, contact the course instructor or department directly.
Credit and Audit Options
In the fall and spring semesters, Visiting Students may elect either to receive academic credit or to audit a course. In Summer Session, courses are available on a credit basis only.
Taking a Course for Credit
Visiting Students must meet all the course requirements specified by the course instructor.
Auditing a Course
- Auditing is permitted only at the discretion of the instructor; you must obtain the instructor’s signature on the Audit Authorization Form that will be provided to you by the School of Professional Studies in order to complete your course registration.
- Students generally are not permitted to audit laboratory, writing, or language courses.
- In Summer Session, courses are available on a credit basis only; auditing is not permitted in the summer.
- AICU Language Consortium students are not permitted to audit courses.
Additional Academic & Financial Information
- Visiting Students are subject to the same academic policies regarding course prerequisites, grading options, extension of work, etc. as any other Brown student. Please refer to Brown University’s Academic and Student Conduct Code.
- Refunds for Visiting Students follow the refund policy established for Brown degree candidates
- No financial aid is available for Visiting Students.
- AICU Language Consortium students: tuition is covered by your home institution.
- AICU Language Consortium students and Postdoctoral Fellows: no application fee is required; please contact email@example.com for fee waiver instructions.