Applications to Brown are submitted online via the Common Application. The online system will guide you through the process of providing the supporting credentials appropriate to your status as a first-year or transfer applicant.
How To Apply
- Begin by creating an account on the Common Application website. Once registered you will need to add Brown University to your list of colleges from within the College Search tab.
- The Common Application is divided into three sections: information common to all the schools to which you are applying, Brown University specific questions, and guidance counselor and academic teacher recommendations.
- If you have indicated an interest in Chemistry, Computer Science, Engineering, Geology, Mathematics or Physics you must complete the Science/Engineering essays.
- If you are applying to the 8 year Program in Liberal Medical Education (PLME) or the five year Brown/Rhode Island School of Design Dual Degree Program (BRDD) you must complete the special program essays.
- Questions specific to Brown University, including our essays, are found in the section labeled “Questions.”
- Request recommenders. Within the Common Application, you will be presented with either online or paper methods of inviting appropriate school officials and teachers to supply records and recommendations. We suggest that you begin the process early to give them plenty of time to respond before the deadline.
- Brown has a $75 non-refundable application fee. You may request a fee waiver if the application fee will present a financial hardship for you and your family. Ask your guidance counselor to submit a Fee Waiver Request (Brown accepts the NACAC, College Board, and Expanding College Opportunities Fee Waiver request forms).
- We recommend sending all official test scores, transcripts and recommendations through the Common Application. If this is not an option arrange to have your materials sent directly to Brown University, Office of College Admission, Box 1876, Providence, RI 02912 or fax to 401.863.9300. Consult the First-Year Applicant page to see which tests we accept.
- You will receive a confirmation email from the Office of College Admission confirming receipt of your Common Application.
- Complete the Common Application by November 1, 2015 for Early Decision, or by January 1, 2016 for Regular Decision.
- The Common Application recommends using the following browsers: Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer Version 10, and Safari.
- When completing the essay and short answer portion of the online application, files cannot exceed 500 KB in size and should be in .doc, .docx, .wpd, .rtf, .xls, .pdf, or .txt format. Mac users must save the file with the appropriate three-letter extension.
- Please do not attempt to upload a document that is password protected or that contains macros.
- Give your recommenders plenty of time to complete and submit their forms. Be sure to fill in your parts of those forms. As a courtesy, provide stamped, addressed envelopes for recommenders who are submitting forms on paper.
- Observe all deadlines faithfully. Try to avoid submitting your application at the last minute.
- Make copies of every portion of your application. Ask your recommenders to keep copies of their forms and letters.
We offer a secure and private Application Summary page where you can:
- Track the status of your application.
- Check whether all required documents and test scores have been received.
- Update your contact information.
- Check the admission decision on your application.
Applicants to Brown are neither required nor expected to provide additional materials as part of the admission process, but the opportunity to do so is available to any candidate. You may use the Application Summary Page if you have updates or additional materials that you would like to share with Brown. Examples include a resume, poetry or a brief writing sample, abstract of scientific research or an independent research project, and any additional information that you were unable to include in your Common Application. A few things to note:
- Please do not submit files over 1000 KB.
- If you are accomplished in music or visual art and wish to include these types of supplements, please review our guidelines and submit those materials via SlideRoom.
- Once you have submitted your Common Application, you will receive access to your Brown Account from us on a rolling basis from November 1 throughout the month of January. When you receive the Brown Account email, you may check the status of your application by visiting selfservice.brown.edu. If you need help, please contact Computing Accounts and Passwords at 401.863.4357.
For technical or logistical difficulties while completing the online application, please refer to the “Instructions and Help Center” link within the Common Application.
If you have questions about the content of our application and are unable to find answers within this guide, please call us at 401-863-2378 during our regular office hours, or email us at email@example.com at any time.
For questions about financial aid please refer to the Office of Financial Aid website.