Funding Opportunities

The majority of funding for undergraduate student organizations comes from the undergraduate Student Activities Fee, which is distributed by the Undergraduate Finance Board (UFB); however, other source of funding exist.

The process of crediting your financial account varies depending on the source. Please look for more information under each funding opportunity and under Deposits and Donations under Financial Management.

  • GRADUATE STUDENT COUNCIL- has limited funds to co-sponsor events or activities that are of interest to the Brown University Graduate Student Body. The maximum funding that may be requested from the GSC for any one event or activity shall be $400 or half of the total budget for the event or activity, whichever amount is less. Funding requests shall be submitted to the GSC Treasurer at least 1 week prior to a GSC meeting in order to be considered at the next meeting.
  • Departmental Funding-Before you submit a funding request to a department, you should meet with SAO staff to review your request and overall event or activity planning. Offices may inquire with the SAO about your event prior to granting funds.Money from University departments requires an internal I.I. form from that department to the SAO. Please have the department call the SAO as soon as possible - not only for your account number but for the correct sub code to access our set of accounts. That will start the process; the SAO will need a verifying copy of their signed form and it will be posted to your account that day. If we do not receive one, it could take one month before it shows on your monthly trial balance sheets.
  • GRANTS FOR SERVICE GROUPS-check out the grants page on the Swearer Center's web site! YSA also has great resources.