Joining Our Volunteer Service
Recruitment begins: October 2013
New personnel accepted: August 2014
All Recruits must be current Brown students at the time of acceptance.
Recruit prerequisites, due by August 1, 2014
- Certification in healthcare level CPR
- Proof of EMT training or certification in a US State
- Completion of National Incident Management System training
(IS 100,200,700), AWR-160 Terrorism and Major Incident Awareness, and Brown Emergency Action Plan training
- Protecting Brown's Information Online Course
Additional requirements due at EMS Orientation in September:
- Completion of annual OSHA required trainings, including Bloodborne Pathogen Training, Hazard Communication Training, and Respiratory Protection Training and Fit Testing
- Documentation of required immunizations for healthcare workers
- Documentation of confidentiality and electronic security training
All EMS personnel must attend EMS Orientation at the start of the fall semester, meet minimal semester training requirements, volunteer 24 hours per month on assigned duty shifts, and be issued an active RI EMT license number during the fall semester.
Recruitment events are held in the fall and spring, and all potential recruits are invited to do a limited 12 hour ride along on the ambulance.
Please fill out the Recruitment Form if you are interested!
Information about EMT Training at Brown will be posted in late fall. We run a summer course that can accomodate 20 Brown students. The course begins right after Commencement and ends in mid-August.