Executive Chef Dave Chabot instructs on the art of a creating your own culinary delight each month.
Dutch Apple Cake
Yield: 10-12 Servings
- 2 medium Peeled, Sliced (1/4 inch) Granny Smith Apple
- 1 Cup plus 3 Tablespoons Sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 2/3 cup (5 ½ oz) Butter, softened
- 4 large Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- Pinch Salt
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, 3 tablespoons of sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon. Let stand for one hour.
- In another bowl, cream butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add Vanilla.
- Combine flour and salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture and beat until smooth.
- Transfer to a greased 9 inch by 5 inch loaf pan.
- Push Apple slices vertically into batter, placing them close together.
- Bake at 300° for 1 ½ to 1 ¾ hour or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing to wire rack
- Serve Warm