Careers in the Common Good (CCG) is a resource for students and alumni interested in nonprofit, social enterprise or public service careers and working for the common good. CCG provides programs, online resources and advising to help students explore ways to craft a career that makes a difference. CCG is an initiative of the CareerLAB, Curricular Resource Center, and Swearer Center for Public Service.
Community Hours -- At CCG Community Hours Brown alumni and others talk about their work and the different pathways Brown students can take into common good careers. All Community Hours are at 6:00 PM at the CareerLAB, unless otherwise noted.
* Career Pathways in Public Interest Law -- Wednesday, Oct. 7 -- Salomon 202
* CareerCon: Career Pathways in Education -- Thursday evening, Oct. 22 at the Faculty Club and Friday morning, Oct. 23 at the CareerLAB.
* Demystifying non-profits -- Monday, Nov. 2
Partnership for Public Service Go Government Webinars
Birkelund Boardroom, Room 140, Watson Institute
2:00 to 3:00
Space is limited and registration is required. Click here to register.
• Your Federal Career - In D.C. and Beyond , Wednesday, October 7
• Top Tips for Navigating USAJOBS.gov , Wednesday, October 14
• Federal Resume 101 , Wednesday, October 21
* CareerCON -- Fri. and Sat., Jan. 28 and 29.
-- Jobs on the Hill
-- Public Health
-- Sustainability/Food Justice
* Career Pathways in Impact Investing and Philanthropy -- TBA
* Career Pathways in the Arts -- TBA
Archives and info from past programs
Career Pathways in Education -- Take-Aways (2015, 2014)
Career Pathways with Non-Profits Organizations
Career Pathways in International Development -- (2015, 2014)
Career Pathways in Government Work -- (2015, 2014)
Career Pathways with Non-Profits: Writing for Non-Profits -- The Take-Away
Career Pathways in Environment and Sustainability -- The Take-Away
Career Pathways to the Museum World -- Video Replay (You must be logged into a gmail account to watch the video). -- The Take-Away
Making A Living While Making A Difference -- The Take-Away
The All Ivy Environmental and Sustainable Development Career Fair will be held on March 4, 2016 at Columbia University. The annual fair is the premier event for Ivy League students interested in the environment and sustainability to connect with recruiters and discuss internships, jobs and career opportunities. View a list of organizations that recruited at the 2015 fair.
The Brown/RISD Common Good Internship and Job Fair will be held on Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2015 from 12:00 to 4:00 in the Kapser Multipurpose Room.View a list of organizations that attended the 2015 fair.
Brown-specific, city-based, paid summer internships with non-profits and start ups through the Careers in the Common Good Summer in New York City (CCG in NYC) program and iProv, a project of the Swearer Center for Public Service and the CareerLAB.
Brown-specific, city-based, two-week winter break projects with Innovate Winter Break, a "mini internship" program providing opportunities for student interns to work on engaging projects during winter break within social enterprise and nonprofit organizations.
Job and Internship Listings and more
Exploring Options is a database of job and internship web sites that include job and internship listings, fellowships, networks, graduate schools, resources, and other information divided into 20 different common good career fields, including: Arts, Community Development, Environment, Faith-Based Community Work and Ministry, Fundraising and Foundations, Higher Education, International Development and Relations, K-12 Education, Labor, Law and Human Rights, Literacy and Language Education, Media, Organizing and Activism, Public Health, Public Policy, Social Entreprise, Social Services, Technology and New Media, Women, Youth
Other Online Resources
- The Brown Student Job and Internship Board lists job and internship postings from hundreds of non-profit, government, public health, social entrepreneurship and other common good employers. The University Career Action Network (UCAN) is an online internship, summer job, and fellowship resource open to students from member schools.
- The More than Money League Career Modules help Brown students get clear, get connected and get hired faster for jobs in Corporate Social Responsibility, Sustainable Business, and Social Enterprise. View the Modules.
- The CCG Twitter Feed and the CareerLAB Facebook page include jobs and internship listings you won't find on the Job and Internship Board and resources to help you in the job and internship search. We post 5-10 opportunities each week during the academic year.
- CharityTube is a collection of videos representing non-profit organizations organized by issue area. In addition to the videos, students can find links to job and internship opportunities at each of the organizations.
- Connect with alumni through the Brown Alumni in Public Service LinkedIn group.
You can schedule a meeting with any CareerLAB counselor to discuss common good careers. Jim Amspacher -- one of CareerLAB's four counselor -- works with employers and alumni to develop common good internship and job opportunities for Brown students.
In addition, you can schedule an advising session with Peggy Chang, the director of the Curricular Resource Center, who also heads up CCG's alumni outreach efforts.