Development Studies is an interdisciplinary concentration whose main mission is to provide students with the knowledge, critical perspectives and skills they need to engage with the issues of economic and social development, especially as they relate to the Global South. The concentration is grounded in the social sciences – anthropology, sociology, political science, and economics – but it also heavily draws from history, art, and other disciplines in the humanities. The requirements are designed with three goals in mind: first, provide concentrators a solid foundation in the question of development; second, allow concentrators to develop expertise in a specific region that is of interest to them; third, give concentrators access to a wide range of courses in a large number of disciplines of interest to them. Concentrators are encouraged to do their own original field research. During the senior year, concentrators complete a capstone experience tailored to their interests in some aspect of international development. Towards this end, they benefit from extensive faculty and peer support.
Here's what concentrators from the classes of 2012, 2013, and 2014, reported they were doing in their first year after graduation.
- Business Development Associate, Global Citizen Year
- Executive Assistant, MASS Design Group
- Musician, Writer, Mediator, Yoga Teacher, Self-employed
- Harvard University Graduate School of Design, M.Arch, Architecture
- Fulbright Fellowship
- Fulbright Fellowship
- Account Coordinator, Mail Online
- Compliance Coordinator, EF Foundation for Foreign Study
- Europe Liaison, Global Venture and Fellowship, Ashoka
- Family Programs Associate, Museum of Modern Art
- Inspiring Minds, Turnaround Schools, AmeriCorps
- Marketing /Account Management, Project Management Associate, DigitasLBi
- Power Shift Coordinator, Responsible Endowments Coolition
- Program Director, Students for Students South Sudan
- American India Foundation William J. Clinton Fellowship
- Analyst, Morgan Stanley
- Analyst, UBS Investment Bank
- Associate Consultant, Bain & Co.
- Belay Staff, Brooklyn Boulders LLC
- Co-founder, Premama, Inc.
- College Advisor, College Advising Corps
- Corporate Strategy Analyst, Capital One - Strategy Group
- Development Assistant, The Guidance Center
- Program Officer, The China Exchange Initiative
- Research Analyst, Corporate Executive Board
- Research Study Assistant I, Memorial Sloan-Kettering