The Bear Bucks Account is an optional University-maintained debit account that provides students with a convenient and safe way to make purchases and access services on campus. It functions much like any other bank debit account with two major differences: funds deposited into a Bear Bucks account may be used only on campus, and cash withdrawals are prohibited. Account information is confidential and can be disclosed only to the account holder (i.e., the student).
Using Bear Bucks
The Bear Bucks Account can be used to make purchases without cash at any Brown University location that accepts Bear Bucks as a form of payment. With funds in their Bear Bucks account, students swipe their Brown Card to pay for the following on-campus transactions:
- Laundry in the residence halls (Bear Bucks only, no cash)
- Photocopying and printing
- Purchases in Dining Services' retail venues, coffee carts, and Campus Market
- Brown Bookstore, Campus Shop, and Computer Store merchandise
- College Hill Cafe (in the bookstore)
- Pharmacy and over-the-counter products at Health Services
- Vending machine snacks and beverages
- Library late fees
Depositing Funds to Bear Bucks
Funds may be added to a Bear Bucks account by mail or in person at the Cashier's Office. Students may also deposit funds to their Bear Bucks Account by inserting cash into one of the Value Port machines on campus.
Viewing Bear Bucks Transaction Statements
Students may log into their Bear Bucks account on-line at any time to review their account balance and activity statements.