The Entrepreneurial Process: Turning Ideas into Commercial Realities
One Section Available to Choose From:
|Course Dates||Weeks||Meeting Times||Status||Instructor(s)||CRN|
|June 24, 2013 - July 12, 2013||3||M-F 9A-11:50A||Waitlisted||Lou Mazzucchelli||10485|
Entrepreneurship, at its core, is innovation in practice. The entrepreneur transforms ideas into opportunities, and, through a calculated process, opportunities into commercial realities. Using three modules, this course will present an entrepreneurial framework for these processes, supported by interactions with industry experts and guest lecturers as well as readings and case studies. The three-week course will culminate with business case presentations to an audience of entrepreneurs, professors, industry experts, and investors.
This course is designed to give an overview of the field of entrepreneurship, beginning with an emphasis on its importance to the student as an individual, to economic regions, and to society as a whole. The course will impart an academic understanding of the field, including its theoretical underpinnings, while beginning to embed a set of real entrepreneurial skills that are of intense practical value.
1) Develop an overall understanding of the academic field of entrepreneurship, the practice of entrepreneurship; and the characteristics of a successful entrepreneur;
2) Develop an entrepreneurial mind-set that includes opportunity-seeking behavior, resourcefulness, and a strong orientation toward customers and end-users;
3) Develop skills to gather information effectively (via “top-down” and “bottom-up” research) and to discern which information is knowable and discriminating;
4) Develop skills to communicate succinctly and effectively to a variety of audiences;
5) Learn effective decision-making in a complex, multidimensional, information-lean environment; and
6) Develop practical knowledge that will help in the creation, funding, and running of a competitive entrepreneurial venture.
Related courses: Developing Young Entrepreneurs: From Idea to Pitch (online course)