Life on Campus
Brown Leadership Institute: Leadership Development for High School Students
Brown Leadership Institute students live and study on the Brown campus. This is a time-intensive program; courses meet for 5 hours each day, and students participate in workshops to sharpen leadership skills outside of class. To build community, Leadership Institute students are housed together in the same residence hall.
A Typical Day
- 7:30– 9:00am: Breakfast is served a Brown dining hall
- 9:00 – 12:00: Attend class
- 12:00 – 1:30pm: Lunch in a Brown dining hall
- 1:30 – 3:00pm: Attend class
- 3:00 – 4:00pm: Free time (for homework or co-curricular activities)
- 4:00 – 6:00pm: Mandatory workshops
- 6:00 – 7:30pm: Dinner is served in a Brown dining hall
- 7:30 – 11:30pm: Free time (for homework or co-curricular activities)
- 11:00pm (12:00am on weekends): Curfew
When not in class or workshops, Leadership Institute students may participate in any co-curricular activities presented by the Summer@Brown program. Learn more about activities and events on campus (link to life on campus)
You'll have at least 1-2 hours of homework most days.
Closing Program-Families are encouraged to attend
We strongly encourage parents to attend the closing day program for the Leadership Institute. This is an opportunity for parents, family and friends to meet faculty and administrators involved with the program. Your student will also be giving a short presentation of his/her Action Plan for how they will apply their new knowledge and skills in their home communities. The schedule for the closing program:
1:00-1:30 Comments from Director, introduction of faculty and staff
1:30-2:30 Student presentations of Action Plans in small groups
We hope that you will join us for what will be the inspiring culmination to your students' experience.