MyCourses is a web-based course management system that provides an easy to use interface to facilitate putting your course content online. MyCourses is a password-protected online classroom environment where you and your students can meet.
The software is organized into "tools" that can be used to create your course. You select which tools to use and which to ignore, allowing you to customize your course to your content, your students, your style.
- Syllabus - Upload your syllabus, course notes and other course content into your private course file area
- Calendar - Enter important dates on the course calendar, such as assignment due dates. University-wide activities and administrative dates are added for you.
- Roster/Grade Book - Keep track of your students and your grades online. You can choose to allow students to check their individual grades, or keep grades for your eyes only. The grade book tool allows for calculating and weighting grades.
- Content modules – Organize your content into searchable, modular lessons.
- Image database – group your course images into searchable collections
- Post content - Post your lecture notes, handouts, PowerPoint presentations, audio and video files, library resources, and useful websites.
- Quizzes, surveys and assignments – use MyCourses to create online quizzes and surveys, distribute assignments and collect student assignments electronically
- Discussion Board - Provides an arena for asynchronous discussions. You can post questions prior to a class meeting to get your students talking, or provide follow-up forums to continue in-class discussions. With the click of the mouse, files can be attached to a discussion thread to facilitate peer review.
- Course Preview Page - Let "shoppers" know what your class has to offer by creating a detailed Welcome page that sits outside of your password-protected course. BOCA and the Brown Course Web Page Directory will link to your Welcome page.
- Mail - Send in-class messages to your students without an email program. Students just log into class to pick up their mail.
- Chat - Invite guest lecturers into your classroom by utilizing the live chat features.
If you would like to know more about WebCT features and tools contact your Instructional Technologist.
Join the Brown MyCourses listserv and receive important news and information about WebCT.