Resources and Contact Information
Local Law Enforcement
It is important that you report identity theft to your local police department as soon as you become aware that you are a victim. Get a copy of the police report which will assist you when notifying creditors, credit reporting agencies and if necessary, the Social Security Administration (SSA).
Brown University Department of Public Safety
Administrative Offices: (401) 863-3103
Routine Public Safety Response: (401) 863-3322
Police, Fire & Medical Emergencies: 4111
Providence Police Department: 911 or (401) 272-3121
The following links provide detailed information related to identity theft and protecting yourself.
- Department of Justice: www.justice.gov/criminal/fraud/websites/idtheft.html
- Federal Trade Commission: www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idtheft/
- Social Security Administration: www.ssa.gov/pubs/10064.html
- Privacy Rights Clearinghouse - Identity Theft Resources: www.privacyrights.org/identity.htm
- National Fraud Information Center Hotline (1-800-876-7060): www.fraud.org/
- Identity Theft Resource Center (1-858-693-7935): www.idtheftcenter.org/