by Pat Falcon,
IT Security Policy & Communications Coordinator, CIS
Keeping the Lines of Communication Open
Brown's Electronic Mail Policy has recently undergone an
extensive review by a cross-section of groups, from technical "Subject Matter Experts" to senior officers.
(See "IT Policy Review Process at Brown University"
for a detailed description of this process.)
The resulting document clarifies expectations regarding privacy and confidentiality of sensitive information.
It also includes a list of non-acceptable uses as well as "best practices" for the responsible use of Brown email:
- avoiding viruses and spyware
- guarding against identity theft
- protecting your email with strong passwords
- proper forwarding of email
- using departmental email addresses
- reading official University communications such as urgent bulk email, course email, and Morning Mail on a regular basis
The Email Policy has two new supplemenatary documents with technical specifications: "Brown's Electronic Mail Standards", and "Procedures for Emergency Account and Information Access".
I urge you to familiarize yourself with these new and newly-revised documents, as well as Brown's other computing policies, located at http://brown.edu/cis/policy/.