Social Networking Hazards
Protect your privacy through careful configuration of access to your Facebook or MySpace profiles. Here are some simple steps you can take to lock down who can see what of your information.
1. In the menu bar, click on "Settings" then "Privacy Settings".
2. Click on "Profile" and then the "Basic" tab to display your options for controlling who can see your profile and related information.
3. Click on the "Contact" tab to select who can see your contact information.
4. Click on "Privacy" again, then "Applications" and "Settings". You can use the controls on this page to limit what types of information your friends can see about you through applications.
5. From the menu bar, click on "Settings", "Account Settings", then "Notification" to control the setting for each Facebook application's email notification settings.
1. From the "Settings" option, select "Privacy" to regulate who can see your personal information. Here you control who can see you are online, who knows your birthday, who can view your profile, who can share your photos and how to block specific users and users by age.
2. From the "Settings" option, select "Spam" to regulate the spam security levels, who can message you, who can request to be friends, approval of comments, group invitations, event and IM invitations.
3. From the "Settings" option, select "Applications" to allow applications to send your messages and whether or not friends' applications can access your private data.