Article by Tara Williams
Born in Pawtucket, RI, Bucklin contributed a great deal to the architecture of Providence. As a young man Bucklin was apprenticed to John Holden Greene, and as a professional was the first in the United States to achieve the status of "architect." In 1822 Bucklin joined forces with Williams Tallman, creating a partnership that was responsible for many outstanding buildings in Providence as well as in other parts of the country. In 1827 they were joined by Russell Warren and later, for a short time in the 1950's, by Thomas Tefft. Bucklin designed much of his work in the Greek Revival style, seen in the façade of the Arcade (1828), his work at Brown University, the Beneficent Congregational Church (1836), and the Rhode Island Historical Society Cabinet (1843). While he worked alongside his partners, it is evident based on documents and drawings, that Bucklin played an essential role in most of the firm's commissions.
Arcade (1828) 130 Westminster St.
Russell Warren and James Bucklin
Downing, Antoinette F. Macmillan Encyclopedia of Architects. Vol. 4 of 4. New York : The Free Press, 1982.
Woodward, W. McKenzie. PPS/AlAri Guide to Providence Architecture. Providence : Providence Preservation Society, 2003.