Article by Tara Williams
Prescott Orlott Clarke (1858-1935) studied at Brown University and MIT's school of architecture, after which he began his architectural practice in 1895 with the firm of Clarke and Spaulding. In 1901 the Providence, RI firm was joined by Wallis Eastburn Howe (1868-1960), and in 1903 the firm became Clarke and Howe. That same fall Clarke and Howe received the commission for the U.S. Federal Building and Courthouse (1904-1908). The project established the young firm and led to many other commissions including the New England Telephone and Telegraph Company Building (1917, 1931), the Providence Gas Company Building (1924), and three buildings for Brown University between 1903 and 1927. In 1928 Clarke retired from the practice while Howe continued to work until his death in 1960.
There are currently no works by this architect in the database.
Brief History of the Courthouse. December 7, 2003.
Woodward, W. McKenzie. PPS/AlAri Guide to Providence Architecture. Providence : Providence Preservation Society, 2003.