Local Law Enforcement
It is important that you report identity theft to your local police department as soon as you become aware that you are a victim. Get a copy of the police report which will assist you when notifying creditors, credit reporting agencies and if necessary, the Social Security Administration (SSA).
- Brown University Department of Public Safety Administrative Offices: (401) 863-3103
Routine Public Safety Response: (401) 863-3322 | Police, Fire & Medical Emergencies: 4111
- Providence Police Department: 911 or (401) 272-3121
The following links provide detailed information related to identity theft and protecting yourself.
- Department of Justice: www.justice.gov/criminal/fraud/websites/idtheft.html
- Federal Trade Commission: www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idtheft/
- Social Security Administration: www.ssa.gov/pubs/10064.html
- Privacy Rights Clearinghouse - Identity Theft Resources: www.privacyrights.org/identity.htm
- National Fraud Information Center Hotline (1-800-876-7060): www.fraud.org/
- Identity Theft Resource Center (1-858-693-7935): www.idtheftcenter.org/