Macintosh OS X
Computing and Information Services (CIS) provides support for Macintosh OS X 10.7.5 through 10.9.x if the latest updates are applied. CIS will strive to develop in-depth knowledge about Mac OS X and pursue solutions to problems with using Mac OS X at Brown. Additionally, CIS will provide training based on need, through courses or cooperative arrangements with departments. Support includes information on how to connect your Macintosh to the Brown Network and technical assistance with supported applications running under Macintosh OS X.
For information about software that has been tested on Mac OS 10.9, please visit Mac OS 10.9 (Mavericks) - What Works?
Consult with your IT Service Professional and view recommended hardware configurations before upgrading to Mac OS 10.9. (You may need to temporarily disable gatekeeper to install Brown University distributed applications.)
- Operating systems in languages other than English are unsupported.
- CIS will not assist you with Apple File and Print Sharing configuration or operation.
Brown does not maintain a licensing agreement with Apple. As a result, CIS does not distribute the Macintosh OS to Brown users. Users who want to install OS X on their computers must purchase both media and license either from the App Store or Brown Computer Store. Note that this purchase covers the licensing of ONE computer and should not be used to install the OS on more than one computer.
- Brown will provide best efforts support for Linux and mobile operating systems.
- Operating systems NOT listed here are unsupported.
- Operating Systems other than Macintosh OS (for example, Windows via Parallels or Boot Camp) running on Apple computer hardware are unsupported.
- Any Macintosh OS running on hardware other Apple computer hardware is unsupported.