- Install anti-malware software and keep it current. Anti-Virus: System Center Endpoint Protection (offers malware detection and eradication tool for Windows and Mac) is available for staff and Brown-paid faculty. For personal use, there's Microsoft Security Essentials and Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac both available from the Software Catalog.
- Get a tracking program, such as FrontDoor (free and for laptops) or more extensive data protection and theft recovery software, like Absolute LoJack (for laptops, phones and tablets), or Lookout for iPhones, iPad and Android devices.
- Consider installing Malwarebytes (free and PRO versions) for laptops and Android devices.
- Use a secure wireless connection when at Brown and VPN when away to connect to the network. VPN provides a secure "tunnel" that allows you to use most Brown applications. You can access it by installing the VPN client from http://software.brown.edu or directly at http://vpn.brown.edu.
- Secure access to your computer with a strong password.
- Just as important: don’t install programs, apps or widgets you don’t need or aren’t from well-known sources.
- Brown’s FrontDoor Software installation page
- LoJack (Absolute) home page
- Protect Your Computer Against Viruses and Malware
- View the screencast "Don’t Get Caught by a Defenseless Device"