- Install antimalware software and keep it current. Forefront Endpoint and Sophos are both available from the Software Catalog.
- Get a tracking program, such as FrontDoor (free and for laptops) or more extensive data protection and theft recovery software such as Absolute LoJack (for laptops, phones and tablets), or Lookout for iPhones, iPad and Android devices.
- Consider installing Malwarebytes (free and PRO versions) for laptops and Android devices.
- Use a secure wireless connection when at Brown and VPN when away to connect to the network. VPN provides a secure "tunnel" that allows you to use most Brown applications. You can access it either at http://vpn.brown.edu or by installing the VPN client from http://software.brown.edu.
- Secure access to your computer with a strong password.
- Just as important: don’t install programs, apps or widgets you don’t need or aren’t from well-known sources.
- Brown’s FrontDoor Software installation page
- LoJack (Absolute) home page
- Protect Your Computer Against Viruses and Malware
- View the screencast "Don’t Get Caught by a Defenseless Device"