Before You Arrive
- Remember to bring installation disks, receipts, and manuals for your electronics in case you need a repair or reinstallation.
- Buying a computer? Dell and Apple are Brown's preferred vendors for personal computers; Dell and Apple computers under warrantee can be repaired at the Brown Bookstore. Guide: Buying a Computer
- You may not find that you need your own printer; printers are available in the computing labs and you are provided with a printing credit at the beginning of the year.
Use Brown's secure wireless network for your privacy and safety! It requires a quick one-time setup process.
- First, temporarily connect to the Brown-Guest network to get online.
- Then, visit http://wifi.brown.edu to configure your computer or mobile device.
The first time you connect your computer to ethernet in a residence hall, you will be taken through a 1-time registration process. Guide to Ports in Residence Halls
Gaming Consoles, Wireless Printers, and Other Devices
Not all devices are able to connect to the Brown network, but they can be connected to Brown-Guest wireless or the wired network with an ethernet cable. These devices must be registered online first. For instructions, see http://brown.edu/go/browserless.
Email and More
Check your email at gmail.brown.edu from any computer using your full email address and the password you chose for Google. You can also log in to other Google services directly. Information for configuring GoogleApps on your mobile device: Android, iPhone, Other
- Computing labs are located in each of the two main libraries (Sciences and Rockefeller) and in the CIT building. Both Windows and Mac computers are available. Computing Lab Locations and Information
- Several public internet kiosks are located across campus where students and visitors can quickly check their email or surf the web. Kiosk Locations
Brown's Bookstore Technology Center provides repairs for personally-owned computers and devices. They are an authorized warranty service provider for Dell and Apple computers.
- Wondering how to use the telephone in your residence hall room?
- Several phone providers offer Brown discounts for personal purchases and plans, listed in our Guide to Buying a Cellular Phone.
You can use your PAWPrints account (automatically tied in to your Brown ID / Bear Bucks account) to print to the print release stations in the computing lab. Some personal wireless printers will work on the Brown-Guest network; see the instrutions in the wireless section above.
More about Printing
Brown's software catalog lists Brown-licensed software, free and open source software, and discounted purchasing options. http://brown.edu/information-technology/software
Students can install Microsoft Office software for free on up to five computers. For instructions, see http://brown.edu/go/office365help.
You can find course information and register for Brown courses using the Banner course catalog at:
Course Preview Pages offer additional information like syllabi and reading lists supplied by course instructors.
Canvas, Brown's learning management system, can be populated with digital materials such as course syllabi, lecture notes, readings, links, and discussion boards.
- The Information Security section of the CIS website has a lot of information about safe computing.
- Theft - If your laptop is stolen, immediately contact the Department of Public Safety at x3-3322 to report the incident. If you have registered your computer with MyConnection by connecting via ethernet in a residence hall, CIS can attempt to find your stolen computer on the Brown network.
With IPTV , you can watch 37 channels on your computer over a wired connection in a residence hall. Students with a television can rent a Set Top Box from the Office of Residential Life (27 Brown Street, Wayland House). More information about IPTV
Options for commercial-free streaming music, based on your personal selection of artist or genre, are available on the Web. Several portable devices are supported.
Guide: Legal Music Options
Stay in Touch
You can contact the IT Service Center for help.