We are excited to introduce some new initiatives that will be implemented across campus in the near future. These initiatives are a collaboration between Facilities Management’s Energy and Environment Office, Biomed Facilities Planning & Operation, Environmental Health & Safety,and members of the Brown community.
What are the initiatives?
'Shut the Sash' Reminders
To encourage safety and energy savings across campus, it is important to shut the fume hood sash when it is not in use. These stickers placed on the side of fume hoods will serve as friendly reminders that can help you keep Brown’s labs safe and sustainable.
The stoplight system saves energy by encouraging lab users to turn off equipment that might otherwise be left on and protects research by ensuring that equipment that is being actively used is left on.
- A red ‘stop’ sticker placed on equipment means that this equipment should stay on at all times.
- A yellow ‘caution’ sticker placed on equipment means that lab users should contact the person whose name is written on the sticker before turning off equipment.
- A green ‘go’ sticker placed on equipment means that it can and should be turned off when not in use.
Why are these measures being taken?
- To increase lab safety.
- To protect research. These measures will help to ensure that equipment is not shut off while in use.
- To save energy. Labs use a lot of energy, just because of the nature of the work that happens in them. They’re worth the investment, but this also leaves room for substantial energy savings.
Want to learn more?
- If you would like more stoplight stickers, please contact the Energy and Environment Office at 401-863-6717.
- If you have questions about placing the stoplight stickers on equipment in your lab, please contact your lab manager to ensure proper implementation.
- If you have questions about the ‘Shut the Sash’ stickers, please contact the Energy and Environment Office at 401-863-6717.