What is BrownSites?
BrownSites is an enhanced content management system used to create and edit Brown University websites. BrownSites makes building and maintaining web sites easier for everyone regardless of tech skills, and matches the aesthetics of the Brown University homepage.
What does BrownSites include?
BrownSites offers many features and benefits. BrownSites:
- is Web-based. You don't need special software; it works with any web browser.
- Looks and Feels like the new Brown University website.
- allows for the easy inclusion of Multimedia.
- pulls in Calendar Events from events.brown.edu.
- shares News with an optional news feed—let users subscribe to your news.
- has Public & Draft Modes: preview changes instantly, publish when ready.
- tracks Page Revisions. Revert back to a previous page versions easily.
- has Role-based Permissions, including Reviewers, Contributors, and Editors. Make colleagues "Reviewers" to see drafted content,"Contributors" to draft content, or "Editors" to publish updates.
- core files are Upgraded and Maintained regularly by the WebServices team. No need to upgrade software, WebServices does it!
- gains New Features regularly. As WebServices rolls out new widgets, modules, and features, they'll be available to sites.
- has Flexibility and Robustness to Customize. You can contract WebServices to add online directories, resources, applications, slideshows, and almost anything you can dream up to your site.
Is BrownSites right for you?
BrownSites was developed to meet the most common needs of academic and administrative departments, but it can be adapted to most any purpose. The content and menu items are in your control; you have the power to supplement, delete, rearrange, or rename items to fit your needs.
We offer a demo site that previews exactly what you will be given when you request a BrownSite. Keeping in mind the template's flexibility, we strongly encourage you to take a tour and ensure that BrownSites meets your needs.
- Evaluate the demo site.
- Complete the request form. The request will be reviewed by WebServices and your department chair (if appropriate).
- Upon approval of your project, you can sign up for a 3 hour, hands-on training session.
- If expediency is a part of your agenda you will want to prepare your navigation and content before the training. WebServices can help with this (see Strategy and Consultation and Usability Testing).
- At the training you will receive access to your site and get a hands-on opportunity to begin constructing your site.
- You build your site: content, navigation, media, links, file uploads—sounds daunting but it's not...BrownSites makes it easy, that's the whole point! (But if you have resource issues we can populate the site for you. Contact WebServices for information on content migration.)
- Let WebServices@brown.edu know when you've entered all your content, we'll notify Public Affairs, who will go through a final review, make recommendations to you, and schedule a launch date (plan 1-2 weeks for review and launch).
BrownSites and Custom Work
The BrownSite content management system (CMS) is the distinguishing functionality of this service and as such it is the foundation upon which we construct ALL new and revised web sites.
While the CMS can be customized to a degree, so can the other elements of BrownSites. The BrownSite demo site offers a complete view of what the product looks like "out of the box" and it is this version that WebServices offers to the Brown community free of charge.
As stated above, you have ownership over the content and navigation, changes to the layout and other visuals, or the additional of new functionality or features is deemed fee-for-service custom work.
If you are interested in custom work, please contact WebServices.