The Research Initiatives Office supports interdisciplinary research initiatives set forth by the Vice President of Research to advance the research enterprise. The office does this by increasing awareness of Brown's unique interdisciplinary research strengths, building critical national/international partnerships and enhancing and diversifying sources of sponsored funding. Initiatives to date include emerging faculty-generated or opportunity-driven ideas, fully evolved center and institute target areas of growth, and shared research infrastructure initiatives.
Some emerging initiatives include:
- Creative Mind Initiative
- Digital Society Initiative
- Energy Science Initiative
- Environmental Change Initiative
- Global Health Initiative
Some services this office provides include:
- Working with faculty teams to identify interdisciplinary ideas and grow faculty cohorts.
- Convening key administrative stakeholders across campus to communicate emerging interdisciplinary initiatives.
- Advancing initiatives for Provost approval through communication, collaboration and strategies.
- Generating competitive public and private funding opportunities to sustain initiative.
- Introducing partnerships across discipline, organizations or sector to accelerate research initiative ideas and solutions.
For more information on the Research Initiatives Office, please contact Kathleen Shannon at (401) 863-6301.