HISTORY AND ARCHIVES AT BROWN
Sigma Xi was established at Brown in 1900. Professor Benjamin Franklin Clarke was the first president of the Brown chapter, which was reported by the Brown Alumni Monthly in 1901.
Those eligible for membership were professors, instructors, and graduates of five years standing who have “shown noteworthy achievement as an original investigator in some branch of applied science.”
The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright ©1993 by the Brown University Library.
Archives of original signatures of Sigma Xi nominees from each years induction ceremonies exist in bounded books with Professor Barrett Hazeltine, since Brown began holding the Induction Ceremony.
You are welcome to come view inducted members of past generations of Brown chapter Sigma Xi. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Below: Three generations of the Della Grotta family with Professor Barret Hazeltine and Lynn Della Grotta 2013, with her family, view archived signatures from past Inititation ceremonies of father - Gary Della Grotta '77 and grandfather - Guerino Della Grotta '36.