Distributed December 7, 1992
For Immediate Release
News Service Contact: Mark Nickel

The President’s statement

Gregorian concurs with report: Campus police will not be armed

In a written statement distributed to the campus community Dec. 6, 1992, Brown President Vartan Gregorian concurred with a recommendation that campus police officers not be armed at this time. Gregorian informed the community that he would publish the full report in this week’s edition of the George Street Journal, the University’s weekly newspaper, and would send copies to parents.

PROVIDENCE — Brown University President Vartan Gregorian has concurred with the recommendation of the recently appointed Campus Ad Hoc Committee on Safety that the University’s police not be armed at this time.

The committee, chaired by Professor of Chemistry William Risen, presented its report to Gregorian yesterday (Sunday, Dec. 6), as Gregorian had requested. In a written statement distributed yesterday to the campus community, Gregorian announced that he would publish the full report in this week’s edition of the George Street Journal, the University’s weekly newspaper, and would send copies to parents. Gregorian will also inform the Advisory and Executive Committee of the Brown Corporation of his concurrence.

Editors: The text of Gregorian’s statement is attached. Full text of the ad hoc committee’s report will be available mid-week.

Gregorian praised the professionalism and dedication of the more than 60 employees who staff the University’s Department of Police and Security Services. The Department includes 22 police officers, licensed by state statute through the Rhode Island State Police; 15 security officers; seven communications officers; eight administrative and support staff; and up to a dozen part-time building guards.

In addition to its recommendation not to arm police officers, the report included a number of recommendations for improving campus security, including improvements for the personal security of Brown’s officers.

December 6, 1992

To: Members of the Brown community
Subject: Report on campus safety

On November 3, 1992, I appointed members of the Campus Ad Hoc Committee on Safety, under the chairmanship of Professor William Risen, and asked them to hear the concerns of campus police and security officers for their safety, and for that of the campus.

Today, on time, I received the report from Professor Risen and the committee composed of campus police and security officers, students, faculty and staff. I thank them for their intensive work during this short period of time, and I appreciate as well the patience of the Brown police and security members and the faculty, students and staff that make up our community.

Among the recommendations of the Risen Committee is one that states the Brown community is not ready at this time to arm our police and security officers.

I concur with that recommendation.

The issue of arms is an important policy decision and I will inform the Advisory and Executive Committee of the Brown Corporation of the Risen Committee's recommendation, and my concurrence with it, as soon as possible.

The Risen Committee report also includes extensive measures its members suggest will improve the safety and security of our officers and the campus, and it recommends ways for members of our community to be more involved in future issues related to police and security, and safety in general.

Because of the number of recommendations and their implications and consequences for all of us, the report will be published in its entirety in the next issue of the George Street Journal on Thursday, December 10. I will also send this issue of the GSJ to all parents so that they may more fully understand the issues surrounding campus safety.

I firmly believe that the intensive deliberations of the Campus Ad Hoc Committee on Safety have been extremely helpful. Its work, along with the discussions that will continue on campus in future months, will build bridges of understanding as well as provide for additional measures to protect both our officers and the overall Brown community.

######