Brown University News Bureau

The Brown University News Bureau

1996-1997 index

Distributed June 12, 1997

$2.1 million endows professorship named for Gregorian, 11 scholarships

Elizabeth and Malcolm Chace of Providence, R.I., have given $2.1 million to Brown University to endow an assistant professorship named for outgoing President Vartan Gregorian and to endow 11 scholarships that will be named for Mrs. Chace.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Elizabeth Zopfi Chace, a member of Brown's Class of 1959, and Malcolm G. Chace III of Providence, R.I., have given $2.1 million to the University - half to endow an assistant professorship to be named for President Vartan Gregorian and half to endow 11 scholarships to be named for Elizabeth Chace.

The gift was presented as part of a farewell reception and roast held for the president on The College Green Tuesday, June 10. Gregorian is leaving Brown to become president of the Carnegie Corporation of New York.

The scholarships will be available to students in academic year 1997-98.

Elizabeth Chace is a Brown trustee and member of the Corporation Committee on Athletics. She is vice president of the Brown Sports Foundation and president of the Friends of Brown Women's Basketball. She is also the chair and founder of the Brown Women's Athletics Golf Outing, and founder and president of Residential Properties, Ltd., a statewide realty agency. Last March, she and her husband made a $1.4-million gift to the University to endow the women's basketball head coaching position.

Raising endowments for assistant professorships has been a special emphasis for Gregorian during his years at Brown, part of a broader effort to enhance campus intellectual life and provide additional support for the Brown faculty. The Chaces' gift brings to two the number of named professorships honoring Gregorian. The first recognizes his years of service at the University of Pennsylvania's School of Arts and Sciences.

######
96-144