Brown University News Bureau

The Brown University News Bureau

1996-1997 index

Distributed June 27, 1997

Statement by Artemis A. W. Joukowsky, chancellor of the University

The following remarks were delivered at a 12:15 p.m. press conference announcing the election of E. Gordon Gee as seventeenth president of Brown University

As Chancellor, I had the honor, just a few hours ago, to preside over a special meeting of the Corporation, which discharged its responsibility to elect University presidents in accordance with The Brown University Charter dated 1764.

I am pleased to announce that, by a unanimous vote, the Corporation has named E. Gordon Gee, currently president of The Ohio State University, to be the seventeenth president of Brown University, succeeding Dr. Vartan Gregorian. Dr. Gee has accepted the appointment and will officially begin his duties as president on January 1, 1998.

As a participant in the selection process, I am convinced that Brown has found a creative and thoughtful leader. Dr. Gee is a respected and articulate spokesperson for higher education and has the depth and broad spectrum of presidential experience to meet the challenges of the 21st century. He is dedicated to academic excellence and to ensuring that research enterprises will flourish at our nation's institutions of higher education.

As information about Dr. Gee's background is readily available to you this morning, I will not elaborate, except to say that he comes to us with personal experience in the Ivy League. He received both a law degree and a doctorate in education from our sister institution, Columbia University.

It gives me great pleasure to introduce to you the man who will become the seventeenth president of Brown University, E. Gordon Gee.

######
96-150f