Brown University News Bureau

The Brown University News Bureau

1997-1998 index

Distributed February 12, 1998

Brown University athletic program receives certification from NCAA

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) announced today that Brown University has successfully completed the certification process now required of all Division I institutions.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Committee on Certification announced today that Brown University has successfully completed the certification process which began in September 1996. All 308 NCAA Division I members will undergo certification within five years. The program's purpose is to ensure integrity in the institution's athletic operations and to assist athletics departments in improving their programs. Legislation mandating athletics certification was adopted by a vote of all Division I members at the 1993 NCAA Convention as a key part of the Association's reform agenda.

Certification means that an institution has shown that it operates its athletics program in substantial conformity with operating principles adopted by the Division I membership.

The certification process included members of the faculty and staff. In addition to these members, athletics department personnel served on the committee and subcommittees responsible for the self-study. This provided an opportunity for other members of the campus community to learn about and to evaluate the athletics program.

"The NCAA certification is fresh evidence that Brown's scholar-athletes are making an enormous contribution to the quality of campus life," said Brown President E. Gordon Gee. "I congratulate Athletic Director Dave Roach and all the coaches and athletes who have set and achieved such high goals, and I commend Professor Thomas Anton and his steering committee for conducting such a rigorous and far-reaching self-study. This is a great endorsement of Brown's athletic program."

Certification examines the athletics department's academic and financial integrity, governance and commitment to rules compliance, and commitment to equity. The self-study committee on each campus analyzed these four areas and submitted reports.

At the end of the self-study, a peer group of administrators from other NCAA member institutions visited each campus and heard from the institution's self-study committee and others. The peer group then reported back to the NCAA Committee on Athletics Certification, which rendered the final decision.

Professor Thomas J. Anton, who chaired Brown's self-study steering committee, commented, "The outcome is terrific. We put a lot of time and effort into the certification process, and we learned a lot more about our athletic program. This was a healthy process, showing us things we can improve on and what we're doing well. The review and its outcome is an enormous vote of confidence on the quality and integrity of our athletic department."

Brown athletic Director David T. Roach believes that the certification program heightened the awareness of Brown athletics among all University constituents. "The certification process was great for our department and fosters a greater understanding between the athletic department and the University community. It also shows how well our athletes perform on and off the playing field."

The NCAA is a membership organization of colleges and universities that participate in intercollegiate athletics. The primary purpose of the Association is to maintain intercollegiate athletics as an integral part of the educational program and the athlete as an integral part of the student body. Activities of the NCAA membership include formulating rules of play for NCAA sports, conducting national championships, adopting and enforcing standards of eligibility and studying all phases of intercollegiate athletics.

######
97-083