Distributed April 30, 2001
For Immediate Release
News Service Contact: Tracie Sweeney

Eight Brown employees receive President’s Achievement Awards

Eight Brown employees are the recipients of the 2001 President’s Achievement Awards, which recognize exceptional innovation, initiative and service. The awards were presented April 30 by Interim President Sheila E. Blumstein.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Eight Brown employees are the recipients of the 2001 President’s Achievement Awards.

The awards are presented to members of Brown’s secretarial, clerical, technical or other support staff who demonstrate exceptional innovation, initiative or service. This year’s awards, presented April 30 by Interim President Sheila Blumstein, were given in the categories of initiative and service.

The winner of the initiative award is Kelley Smith of Riverside, R.I. Smith, an administrative assistant in the Population Studies and Training Center, was honored for voluntarily coordinating a crucial grant application for the center.

Three individuals and a four-woman team received awards for service.

M. Elaine Butler of Johnston, R.I., an administrative assistant in the Department of Molecular Biology, Cell Biology and Biochemistry, was honored for her cheerful and efficient commitment to service by organizing a faculty search, creating a database for a spring colloquium, coordinating a department retreat and covering for a colleague on leave – all in her first year at the University.

Elda Neagle of Cranston, R.I., a receptionist/assistant in the Office of Human Resources, was honored for her exemplary customer service, which has had a positive impact on the department, customers from within the Brown community and prospective Brown employees.

Shirley Wolpert of Providence, R.I., an administrative assistant in Alumni Relations, is considered a true ambassador for both Alumni Relations and Brown University. A member of the Class of 1946, Wolpert has cheerfully welcomed students, parents, colleagues, alumni and dignitaries to campus since 1978.

A quartet in the Office of Student Life was recognized for its “fortitude, compassion, positive attitude and teamwork.” They are Carole Benn of Bristol, R.I., an administrative assistant; Blana Del Cid of Providence, R.I., an administrative assistant; Thea Lacey of Providence, R.I., a financial coordinator; and Erin O’Reilly of East Providence, an office assistant.

######