Distributed May 27, 2002
For Immediate Release

News Service Contact: Mark Nickel

The 234th Commencement

English and Latin texts of the honorary degree citations

Brown University presented eight honorary degrees during Commencement ceremonies today, Monday, May 27. The recipients were John Birkelund, Raymond G. Chambers, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Paul LeClerc, Emily Arnold McCully, Jessye Norman, Sadako Ogata and William Warner. The texts of their honorary degree citations follow here.

John Birkelund, Doctor of Laws (LL.D.)    [News Release]

Proud son of Princeton, proud father to four Brown alumnae, today you join the ranks of those Brown is proud to call honorary graduates. As a Fellow of the Corporation and chair of the Watson Institute board of overseers and of the Third Century Fund, you have served this institution wisely and unselfishly, offering counsel and advice to presidents, alumni, faculty, staff, and students. For your many gifts, for your stalwart support, and for your distinguished leadership, we bestow upon you the degree of Doctor of Laws.

Filius beatus universitatis Princetoniensis, pater es fortunatus quattuor nostrarum alumnarum et cum illustribus viris hodie coniungeris quos doctores honoris causa Brunenses dicere valde nobis placet. Socius collegii universitatis Brunensis et praeses collegii quod anglice the Watson Institute Board of Overseers nominatur necnon thesauri tertii saeculi, hoc munere prudenter et diligenter perfunctus es, cum praesidibus, alumnis, professoribus, administris studentibusque optime suasisti. Multum dedisti, fortiter adiuvavisti, virtute duxisti. Auctoritate mihi commissa te ad gradum in Legibus Doctoris admitto, omniaque jura atque privilegia ad hunc gradum pertinentia tibi concedo. In huius testimonium hoc diploma tibi gravi modo dedo.

[Truly happy son of Princeton University, you are the fortunate father of four of our alumnae, and today you join the ranks of those we are proud to call honorary graduates of Brown University. As a Fellow of the Corporation of Brown University and as Chair of the Watson Institute Board of Overseers and of the Third Century Fund, you have served this institution wisely and diligently, offering excellent advice to presidents, alumni, faculty, staff and students. You have given us many things, you supported us with bravery, you were a distinguished leader. By the authority granted to me I admit you to the rank of Doctor of Laws, and give to you all the rights and privileges that go with that rank. In witness of this I give you this diploma with every seriousness.]

Raymond Chambers, Doctor of Humane Letters (L.H.D.)    [News Release]

Captain of industry, you have stepped off the corporate ladder to embrace a new calling. Championing the cause of your hometown of Newark, you have given renewed hope to its citizens, who see the breadth and depth of your commitment and your philanthropy in their new center for the performing arts, educational opportunities for their children, and the rebirth of a careworn downtown. For your benevolent humanity, and for the private passion that has led to your public good works, Brown is pleased to award you the degree of Doctor of Humane Letters.

Vir maxima industria praeditus discessisti a negotio mercatorio, ut novo munere perfungereris. Civitati patriae, quae Newark nominatur, succurrens animos civium renovasti, qui maximam tuam contentionem et philanthropiam viderent. Quibus nisus novum theatrum novasque scholas instituisti et civibus defessis fortitudinem inspiravisti. Propter humantitatem tuam benevolentissimam auctoritate mihi commissa te ad gradum in Litteris Humanioribus Doctoris admitto, omniaque jura atque privilegia ad hunc gradum pertinentia tibi concedo. In huius testimonium hoc diploma tibi laetissime do

[Captain of Industry, you have stepped off the corporate ladder to fulfill a new function. Running to the aid of your hometown Newark, you have given renewed hope to its citizens, who see the depth of your commitment and your philanthropy, on account of which you opened a new center for the performing arts and new educational opportunities and gave new strength to the careworn population. For your most benevolent humanity, by the authority granted to me I admit you to the rank of Doctor of Humane Letters, and grant you all the rights and privileges pertaining to this rank. In witness of this I give you this diploma most happily.]

Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Doctor of Laws (LL.D.)    [News Release]

Courageous pioneer, stalwart feminist, brilliant jurist, outspoken advocate, you have never chosen the easy path, always holding yourself to the highest personal and professional standards. Cherishing your role as public servant, you have championed the rights of all people, men and women, crafting well-reasoned decisions with both eloquence and precision. For your excellence as a scholar, a teacher, and an articulator of truth and justice; for your heroism; and for your unwavering integrity, we are delighted to proclaim you a most supreme Doctor of Laws.

Viam fortiter aperuisti, causam mulierum pertinax agis, leges optime novisti, reos virtute defendis, a nullo officio abhorres, maxima semper tibi proponis. Munere publico libenter perfuncta ius omnium, virorum necnon mulierum, persecuta es, cum sententias eloquenter et sagaciter ferre solita es. Doctissima magistra, vox veritatis iustitiaeque praeclara, impavida advocata, auctoritate mihi commissa te ad gradum in Legibus Doctoris admitto, omniaque jura atque privilegia ad hunc gradum pertinentia tibi concedo. In huius testimonium hoc diploma tibi gravi modo dedo.

[You are a courageous pioneer, you persistently defend women’s rights, you are a brilliant jurist, you are an excellent advocate, you shy away from no task, always holding yourself to the highest standards. Cherishing your role as public servant, you have championed the rights of all humans, men and women, crafting decisions with both eloquence and precision. Most learned scholar and teacher, shining voice of truth and justice, unwavering advocate, by the authority granted to me I admit you to the rank of Doctor of Laws, and give to you all the rights and privileges that go with that rank. In witness of this I give you this diploma with every seriousness.]

Paul LeClerc, Doctor of Humane Letters (L.H.D.)    [News Release]

Guardian of the world’s library, custodian of volumes that define our culture, you bear this responsibility with a gravity that reflects your reverence for the enormous power of the written word. Your belief in the purest principles of democracy has inspired you to open wide the library’s vistas of knowledge and beauty, welcoming us to venture past the formidable lions at the gate into the newly resplendent reading room. For your brilliant leadership and your moving faith in an enlightened citizenry, we are pleased to award you the degree of Doctor of Humane Letters.

Custos bibliothecae orbis terrarum, servator codicum, qui humanitatem nostram significant, hoc officio multa cum gravitate fungeris et tibi persuasum est scripta multum posse. Confisus fundamenta civitatis popularis firma esse portas bibliothecae eiusque scientiam patefecisti. Nunc renovatum aedificium splendidum lectores invitat, ut portas leonesque transgressi legendi causa ineant. Propter exemplum virtutis tuae et fidem eruditae civitatis auctoritate mihi commissa te ad gradum in Litteris Humanioribus Doctoris admitto, omniaque jura atque privilegia ad hunc gradum pertinentia tibi concedo. In huius testimonium hoc diploma tibi laetissime do.

[Guardian of the world’s library, custodian of the volumes that define our culture, you bear this responsibility with a gravity that reflects your reverence for the enormous power of the written word. Your belief in the purest principles of democracy has made you open the library’s gates and knowledge. The newly resplendent building now welcomes the readers to venture past the lions at the gate into the reading room. For your example of leadership and your faith in an enlightened citizenry, by the authority granted to me I admit you to the rank of Doctor of Humane Letters, and grant you all the rights and privileges pertaining to this rank. In witness of this I give you this diploma most happily.]

Emily Arnold McCully, Doctor of Letters (Litt.D.)    [News Release]

Brown’s own spirited artist and storyteller, you inspire our sons and daughters with your fictional heroines. You invite children to explore their most amazing dreams and to pursue their heart’s calling. As art imitates life, your heroic narrative of self-examination and personal struggle has given others the strength to bravely battle their demons. For your extraordinary talents, for the rich imagination you have so generously and beautifully shared, and for remaining grounded even as you walk the high wire, we are delighted to declare you Doctor of Letters.

Vates et poeta Brunensis, cuius muliebres personae filios filiasque nostros ad somnia mirabilia exploranda et quae maxime orent persequenda incitant. Ut ars vitam imitatur, ita tuae personae secum luctantur seque cognoscere conantur. Quo exemplo lectores daemones fortiter expellere docent. Ingenium tuum excellit, cuius opera mire cum omnibus communicavisti. Quibus rebus auctoritate mihi commissa te ad gradum in Litteris Doctoris admitto, omniaque iura atque privilegia ad hunc gradum pertinentia tibi concedo. In huius testimonium hoc diploma tibi bona voluntate do.

[Brown’s own spirited artist and storyteller, your fictional heroines inspire our sons and daughters to explore their most amazing dreams and to pursue their heart’s calling. As art imitates life, your fictional characters are engaged in personal struggles and self-examination. With their example, they give the readers the strength to bravely battle their demons. Your extraordinary talent and imagination shines forth, the products of which you have wonderfully shared with everybody. Therefore, by the authority granted to me I admit you to the rank of Doctor of Letters, and grant you all the rights and privileges pertaining to this rank. In witness of this I give you this diploma with greatest good wishes.]

Jessye Norman, Doctor of Music (D.Mus.)    [News Release]

Voice of velvet, determined to fulfill a destiny of greatness, you are the world’s diva, truly touched by the divine. You soar to unimagined heights, and yet you remain grounded, never forgetting your history, your teachers, or your responsibility to humanity. For weaving musical tapestries of exquisite beauty, for inspiring youth to honor their creativity, for believing in the power of your own dreams, and for providing us with cherished and unexpected vistas, Brown University is privileged to award you the degree of Doctor of Music, honoris causa.

Te, vox suavissima, quae optimis ab artificibus inspiraris magnificisque officiis totam te dedisti, te admiratur orbis terrarum. Divino imbuta pennis ferris per liquidum aethera necnon in terris moraris neque umquam oblita es generis tui, magistrorum, pietatisque erga homines. Pulcherrima opera tragici coloris texis, vim inesse in imaginibus tuis confidis, mireque nos inopinantes ad locos lustrandos perducis. Auctoritate mihi commissa te ad gradum in Musica Doctoris admitto, omniaque jura atque privilegia ad hunc gradum pertinentia tibi concedo. In testimonium artis tuae, quae musicam menti conjugit, hoc diploma tibi rite trado.

[Voice of velvet, you who, inspired by the greatest artists, devote yourself entirely to brilliant tasks, you enjoy the deep admiration of the entire world. Touched by the divine, you soar to unimagined heights, and yet you remain grounded, never forgetting your history, your teachers and your responsibility to humanity. Weaving tapestries of a deeply moving color, you believe in the power of your dreams, providing us with wonderful and most unexpected vistas. By the authority granted to me I admit you to the rank of Doctor of Music, and grant you all the rights and privileges pertaining to this rank. In witness of your art, which combines music with the mind, I give you this diploma as is proper.]

Sadako Ogata, Doctor of Humane Letters (L.H.D.)    [News Release]

Protector of peace, guardian of the downtrodden, valiant and virtuous, you speak for those the world has ignored even as they are brutally oppressed in their own nations. With a warm heart, a reasoned touch, and a steel nerve, you have presided over humanitarian relief efforts in the most egregious conflicts of modern times, championing the rights of thousands of displaced refugees around the globe. For your steadfast resolve and compassionate character, and for restoring dignity to those the world has forgotten, we humbly award you this degree of Doctor of Humane Letters.

Tutor pacis, custos inopum, gravitate et virtute eos defendis, quos a ducibus civibusque suis crudeliter opprimi homines ignorant. Caritate, clementia, diligentia, patientia maximis in bellis aevi nostri profugos adiuvasti, cum innumerabiles a miseriis vindicavisti. Plurimi constantia et pietate tua terra sublevati sunt. Qua de causa auctoritate mihi commissa te ad gradum in Litteris Humanioribus Doctoris admitto, omniaque jura atque privilegia ad hunc gradum pertinentia tibi concedo. In huius testimonium hoc diploma tibi laetissime do.

[Protector of peace, guardian of the poor, valiant and virtuous, you speak for those the world has ignored even as they are brutally oppressed by their own leaders and citizens. With a warm heart, with clemency, persistency and a steel nerve, you have brought humanitarian relief efforts to refugees in the most egregious conflicts of modern times, championing the rights of thousands of displaced refugees. Many were raised to their feet by your steadfast resolve and your compassion. For that reason, by the authority granted to me I admit you to the rank of Doctor of Humane Letters, and grant you all the rights and privileges pertaining to this rank. In witness of this I give you this diploma most happily.]

William D. Warner, Doctor of Fine Arts (D.F.A.)    [News Release]

Mover of rivers, architect of the renaissance, carver of cornerstones, you have magically restored this city to its historic splendor. The journey that began with a humble drawing on a napkin grew into a construction project of epic dimensions and was gloriously realized on the riverwalks we stroll today. For envisioning a downcity thriving with life, light, and water; for deftly executing your brilliant plan; and for believing in the power of divine Providence, we salute you with this degree of Doctor of Fine Arts.

Flumina dirigis et avertis, architectus artium renatarum et artifex fundamenti angularis, antiquum splendorem huic civitati mire reddidisti. A genere humili ortum, forma breviter in mappa delineata, postremo aedificium Caesare dignum exstructum est, quod nos cottidie ad ambulationem invitat. Civitatem, quae Providentia nominatur, florere vigore aqua ignique non modo mente concepisti, sed propositum etiam peregisti. Auctoritate mihi commissa te ad gradum in Artibus Elegantibus Doctoris admitto, omniaque jura atque privilegia ad hunc gradum pertinentia concedo. In huius testimonium hoc diploma tibi feliciter trado.

[Mover of rivers, architect of the Renaissance, carver of cornerstones, you have magically restored this city to its historic splendor. Starting from humble origins, with a brief sketch of the plan on a napkin, it finally grew into a construction worthy of a Roman emperor. Daily we are invited to stroll along the riverwalks. Not only did you envision Providence thriving with life, light and water, but you also executed your brilliant plan. By the authority granted to me I admit you to the rank of Doctor of Fine Arts, and grant you all the rights and privileges that pertain to this rank. In witness of this I give you this diploma with every respect.]

######