Distributed January 15, 2003
For Immediate Release

News Service Contact: Kristen Cole

Kimberly DelGizzo named director of the Office of Career Services

Kimberly DelGizzo, currently an associate director in the Office of Career Services at Harvard University, has been named director of the Office of Career Services at Brown. She will begin her service in Providence March 3, 2003, succeeding Sheila Curran.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Kimberly DelGizzo, currently an associate director in the Office of Career Services at Harvard University, has been named director of the Office of Career Services at Brown University. She will begin her service at Brown March 3, 2003, succeeding Sheila Curran.

“Career Services provides vital programs for the entire University community, from matriculating freshmen to graduating seniors, graduate students and alumni,” said Paul Armstrong, dean of the college. “I am especially impressed with her understanding of how the liberal arts education offered by our curriculum provides excellent preparation for successful careers across a wide spectrum of fields. I know she will work closely with students and faculty to build on the strengths of our curriculum, and I think she will make a great contribution here.”

As Brown’s career services director, DelGizzo will lead efforts to promote productive and successful work lives among University graduates. Career Services provides information and support for exploring internship options, researching companies, locating funding and fellowships, exploring graduate and professional schools, establishing connections with alumni and employers, exploring international opportunities, and finding suitable employment. Barbara Peoples has been serving as interim director since  July, when Curran announced her departure for Duke, and will serve until DelGizzo arrives in March.

“It is with great enthusiasm that I look forward to joining the Brown community,” said DelGizzo. “I am particularly excited about this opportunity because all indications from the administration suggest wonderful support for endeavors by the talented team of professionals in the Office of Career Services. I welcome the opportunity to work with the team to continue to develop a vision of excellence which will successfully serve all constituents.”

As Harvard’s associate director for career services since August 2000, DelGizzo proposed, designed and coordinated the first Graduate School of Arts and Sciences Career Fair and directly supervised the graduate school’s team of three professionals. She designed and facilitated professional development activities for career services staff, co-developed a performance management system for the office, and assisted in the management of 32 colleagues.

DelGizzo has been at Harvard since 1997. Before assuming her current position, she was assistant director for Ph.D. advising in Harvard’s Office of Career Services. Prior to that, she served as director of the Office of Career Services at Stonehill College in North Easton, Mass.

She holds an associate’s degree in early childhood education from Holyoke Community College, in Holyoke, Mass.; a bachelor’s degree in psychology and sociology from Coker College in Hartsville, S.C.; and a master’s degree in counseling from the University of Vermont. DelGizzo resides in Mansfield, Mass.

######