Distributed February 28, 2003
For Immediate Release

News Service Contact: Mark Nickel

University offers condolences to West Warwick and victims of fire

Brown President Ruth J. Simmons and Brown Chancellor Stephen Robert have extended the University’s sympathy and support to the citizens of West Warwick. Simmons has directed that the University’s flag be flown at half staff this week in memory of the victims and all those whose lives have been affected by last week’s tragic fire.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – On behalf of all members of the Brown University community, Brown President Ruth J. Simmons and Chancellor Stephen Robert have expressed the University’s sympathy and support for all whose lives have been affected by the West Warwick fire.

President Simmons directed that the flag on The College Green be flown at half staff this week to honor the memory of the victims and remember all those whose lives have been affected by the tragic fire.

In her statement, President Simmons said:

A week has passed since the tragic fire in West Warwick, and we are still trying to take the full measure of this sudden and massive loss.

We have seen images of sorrow and pain, and we have read about the victims who died so tragically. We have also seen the selfless efforts of the emergency workers who saved lives and brought comfort, and we see the dedicated work of those who are helping to heal.

On behalf of the faculty, students and staff of Brown University, I offer our condolences to all who have lost family members or friends. I offer our thanks and admiration to all who responded so quickly and worked with such determination in the face of tragedy, and I assure all who have begun the long road to recovery of our thoughts, prayers and encouragement.

In a letter to the West Warwick town manager, Chancellor Robert noted the heroic efforts of emergency personnel from West Warwick and surrounding communities and the ongoing efforts of medical personnel who are caring for the victims:

February 26, 2003

Mr. Wolfgang Bauer
Town Manager, West Warwick
Town Hall
1170 Main Street
West Warwick, RI 02893-4829

Dear Mr. Bauer:

On behalf of the Corporation of Brown University and the entire Brown University family, I extend my heartfelt condolences for the enormous tragedy suffered by the Town of West Warwick and Rhode Island last week.

The members of the Corporation were in Providence the day of the fire for our annual winter meeting. We saw and heard reports throughout the day detailing the heroic response of the West Warwick fire and police departments and other emergency personnel, and the outpouring of support from the surrounding communities, state, and the nation. We also admired the actions of the doctors, nurses, and other health care providers, many of whom are affiliated with the Brown Medical School, who helped save so many victims.

At our business meeting during the weekend, the Corporation unanimously resolved to express our sympathy and support to the citizens of West Warwick. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you and your town in the weeks and months to come.

Sincerely,

(signed)
Stephen Robert
Chancellor

######