Providence RI 02912

401 863-2476
Fax 863-9595

August 21, 2003
Contact Mark Nickel

News
The Narragansett Smoke Shop
Independent Review Committee concludes first round of public hearings

The Independent Review Committee studying the incident at the Narragansett Smoke Shop concluded its first round of public hearings today. Further interviews, if required, will likely be scheduled after Labor Day.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — The Independent Review Committee appointed by Gov. Donald L. Carcieri to study the incident at the Narragansett Smoke Shop concluded its first round of public hearings today (Thursday, August 21, 2003).

Brown University President Ruth J. Simmons, the committee chair, made the following statement:

“Today’s session concludes the first round of public hearings. The committee will now meet in executive session to review the materials it has developed and to discuss the next phase of its work.

“It is likely that further interviews will be required. The committee will continue its policy of conducting interviews in public and will announce the date and time of any additional public sessions. In all likelihood, additional sessions would occur after Labor Day.

“These sessions have been productive and interesting. I believe the committee will be able to develop a report that will contribute to a greater understanding of the complexities of Tribe-State issues and to a resolution of some difficulties that led to the Smoke Shop incident.

“I wish to thank the committee members for their willingness to serve and for the interest and enthusiasm with which they approached this public service. On behalf of the committee, I would also like to thank the persons who appeared before us, responded to our questions and offered us their comments.”

######

News Service Home  |  Top of File  |  e-Subscribe  |  Brown Home Page