Providence RI 02912

401 863-2476
Fax 863-9595

Distributed January 27, 2006
Contact Tracie Sweeney

News
Division I Athletics Certification Program
Intercollegiate Athletics at Brown Undergoes Routine Review by NCAA

Brown University has undertaken a comprehensive study of its intercollegiate athletics program as required every 10 years by the NCAA. President Ruth J. Simmons has appointed a steering committee whose members will collect and review data, gain broad campus input, and produce a report for the NCAA. Brown received a status of certified, without conditions, after its last review in 1997.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Brown University has begun a comprehensive study of its intercollegiate athletics program as part of the NCAA Division I athletics certification process. Specific areas of the study cover academic integrity, governance and commitment to rules compliance, and commitment to equity and student-athlete welfare.

NCAA certification of athletics programs is required every 10 years. Brown received a status of certified, without conditions, after its last NCAA review in 1997.

To conduct the review, President Ruth J. Simmons appointed a steering committee whose members represent a variety of University constituencies. Members’ responsibilities include collecting and organizing data, reviewing reports related to Brown’s previous self-study, gaining broad campus input, and producing a report to be submitted to the NCAA by the end of May 2006. The NCAA will review the report and provide additional questions during summer 2006; a campus visit by a peer-review team occurs in November 2006. The NCAA will make its certification decision in February 2007.

“This process provides me, as a brand new athletic director, with a perfect opportunity to get an overview of intercollegiate athletics from a wide variety of Brown community perspectives,” said Michael Goldberger, director of athletics and physical education. “Our recertification team includes administrators, faculty, coaches, varsity athletes, and students who are not members of athletic teams. These people will provide the department with a comprehensive study that will serve as an important template for the direction of the department in coming years. It will be a lot of work, but I believe that we’ll find the effort worthwhile.”

The steering committee members are:

• President Ruth J. Simmons;
  • Richard Spies (chair), executive vice president for planning and senior advisor to the president;
  • Brenda Allen, associate provost and director of institutional diversity;
  • Paul Armstrong, dean of the College;
  • Russell Carey ’91, vice president and secretary of the University;
  • Howard Chudacoff, George L. Littlefield Professor of American History and professor of history;
  • Michael Goldberger, director of athletics and physical education;
  • David Greene, vice president for campus life and student services;
  • David Healy ’07;
  • Margaret Klawunn, associate vice president for campus life and dean of student life;
  • Robin Lenhardt ’89, Brown University trustee;
  • Jessica McNell ’06;
  • Samuel Mencoff ’78, Brown University trustee;
  • James Miller ’73, dean of undergraduate admission;
  • Kenneth Miller ’70, professor of biology;
  • Kevin Mundt ’76, chair of Advisory Council on Athletics;
  • Joan Taylor, senior associate director of athletics;
  • The president of the Undergraduate Council of Students.
  • Coordinator for the committee is MaryLou McMillan of the Office of the Vice President of Campus Life and Student Services.

For more information, please visit the University’s NCAA Recertification Web site.

######

Media Relations Home  |  Top of File  |  e-Subscribe  |  Brown Home Page