From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:
The Alma Mater made its first appearance in The Brown Paper of 1860 (which for some reason was that year entitled The Brunonian). James Andrews DeWolf 1861 had been appointed Psi Upsilon’s editor for the paper and had been urged to write a poem. Feeling that there was a need for a Brown song, he selected a tune, “Araby’s Daughter,” which was often sung by students who gathered to sing on the chapel steps in the evening. Later generations recognize this same tune as “The Old Oaken Bucket.” The song he wrote, named “Old Brown,” did not gain the hoped-for popularity among the students at that time, but was later discovered by the Glee Club and sung at a concert in 1869. In the program of the concert the song had been rechristened “Alma Mater.” The first of the three stanzas which DeWolf wrote is well known to many alumni; the others have largely been forgotten.
Alma Mater! we hail thee with loyal devotion,
The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright ©1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.