Brown Logo

Office of University Communications
38 Brown Street / Box 1920
Providence RI 02912

401 863-2453
Fax 863-1650
[email protected]

Contact Mark Nickel


From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:

Alumni Field Day

Alumni Field Day became part of the Commencement festivities in 1958. Two years earlier the class of 1951 had held a Thayer Field carnival at its reunion. In 1957 the classes of 1949, 1950, and 1951 joined in a similar celebration of their off-year on-campus reunion in a tent, with activities for the whole family. Alumni Field Day took place in 1958 on newly acquired Aldrich-Dexter Field with a circus tent for headquarters and a smaller tent for the twenty-fifth reunion class. In time new events were added to the schedule, such as an Old Timers’ baseball game, a rugby match, and swimming in the pool. The event was renamed Brown Field Day in 1974.

The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright 1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.

Return to Encyclopedia Index  |  University Home Page