From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:
S.S. Brown Victory was an armed cargo ship, named for the University and commissioned February 23, 1945 at the Oregon Shipbuilding yards. The 10,600 ton ship was the fifty-seventh Victory type ship constructed for the Maritime Commission. The University acknowledged the honor by a contribution of a library for the crew provided by the Associated Alumni. Later the S.S. Brown Victory managed to survive a kamikaze attempt and to take her cargo to Saipan before being brought home to Oregon for repairs.
The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright ©1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.