From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:
The Crucible was a club formed in 1910 at the Women’s College to discuss “serious problems of interest to college women.” Membership was limited to fifteen juniors and seniors, selected with the advice of the faculty. The club came to be viewed as too exclusive, even by the members, who voted in 1917 to reorganize as a subcommittee of the College Forum and relinquished their separate existence in 1918.
The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright ©1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.