From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:
The Flagpole on the Middle Campus was the mast of an American racing yacht which was presented by its owner, C. Oliver Iselin. In the 1938 hurricane it was blown down and its top was broken off. When it was raised again, it was placed on a base erected by the American Hellenic Educational Progressive Association as a memorial to Samuel Gridley Howe 1821, who was surgeon-in-chief of the Greek fleet during the Greek War of Independence, 1820-1829. The marble and bronze base was dedicated on June 4, 1941.
The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright ©1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.