From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:
Gardner House at 106 George Street is maintained for the use of visiting dignitaries and invited guests of the University. The arrangement which led to the acquisition of the house was made by George W. Gardner 1894, his wife, Jessie Barker Gardner 1896, and their friend since college days, Vice-President Albert D. Mead. The Gardners owned a home on Orchard Avenue filled with precious antique furniture which they wished to give to Brown. The house on George Street, an elegant three-story brick Federal house built by mason Joseph Haile in 1806, was acquired by the University and the use of it given to the Gardners, who contributed to its restoration and gave the Orchard Avenue house to Brown. On April 14, 1935 the Gardners held an informal house-warming, at which Albert Mead dedicated the Henry Ames Barker room in memory of Mrs. Gardner’s brother “to all the interests, civic and artistic, that filled his life,” and communicated her wish that the room would serve as a meeting place for groups in the college or city who wish to carry on this work. Henry Ames Barker 1893 was the author, with A. E. Thomas 1894, of a play, “In Colony Times,” for the sesquicentennial celebration of the University in 1914. The house is used as lodging for guests of the University, and for many years Mabelle Chappell 1933 served as resident hostess.
The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright ©1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.