From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:
Gordon, Lewis H.
Lewis Hall Gordon (1905-1990), professor of Italian, was born in Trenton, New Jersey, on December 23, 1905. He graduated in 1927 from Princeton, where he received his master of arts degree the next year. He earned his Ph.D. at Cornell in 1945. He taught romance languages at Hamilton College from 1929 until 1943, when he became acting associate professor at Cornell, serving as the head of the Italian division of the Army Specialized Training Program for Languages. In 1946 he came to Brown as visiting associate professor of romance languages and literatures. He was named associate professor in 1947, professor of Italian in 1955, and professor of Italian and French in 1960. In 1954 he was elected president of the American Association of Teachers of Italian. He retired in 1970. He died on November 11, 1990, in Providence.
The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright ©1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.