From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:
Howell House at 155 Thayer Street was the third building on the campus to bear the name of the first professor, David Howell, and was the home of the Department of Mathematics, which moved there in 1961. At that time the rear half of the building was a dormitory named Ames House. In 1971 the name, Howell House, was applied to the whole house. Howell House was also the name given to the building at 65 College Street, which had been the Delta Kappa Epsilon house, when it became the Mathematics Department. A George Street dormitory which had been named Maxcy House (and was renamed Howell House in 1894 after Maxcy Hall was built) was torn down for the building of the John Carter Brown Library.
The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright ©1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.