Brown Logo

Office of University Communications
38 Brown Street / Box 1920
Providence RI 02912

401 863-2453
Fax 863-1650
[email protected]

Contact Mark Nickel


From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:

Littlefield Hall

Littlefield Hall, a dormitory for 78 students adjoining Maxcy Hall, was built in 1925, at a cost of $150,000 provided by the George L. Littlefield General Fund. Littlefield was a self-made man, one of thirteen children. He received a minimum of schooling, went to work in the mills, started a dry goods store, and acquired a yarn making business and a fortune. He became president of the First National Bank of Providence. He bequeathed his estate of nearly $700,000 to Brown.

The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright 1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.

Return to Encyclopedia Index  |  University Home Page