From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:
Maddock Alumni Center
Maddock Alumni Center occupies the former home of Chancellor William Goddard 1846. When the house was built for Charlotte Ives Goddard in the 1830s the main entrance was on George Street with two-way steps on the sidewalk. Before William Goddard returned to the house in 1882, he had a large addition, of which Stone and Carpenter were the architects, added at the south end. The George Street entrance was eliminated and the main entrance was now on Brown Street. Inside a new stairway was erected at right angles to the hall, and stained glass windows copied from the Joseph Brown house at 50 South Main Street were installed at all the landings. While they lived in the house, Colonel and Mrs. Goddard entertained at lavish Christmas parties and Commencement receptions. Their daughter, Hope, was married in the drawing room of the house to C. Oliver Iselin of New York, who was a banker and yachtsman, co-owner and manager of four America’s Cup defenders. The mast from one of his yachts is the flagpole on the Middle Campus across from the house. After William Goddard died in 1907, the house was opened only when Mrs. Iselin visited. She continued to hold the annual Commencement party. President Faunce, in a letter thanking her for her hospitality in 1928, broached the possibility of her leaving the house to Brown University. He had hoped to see it one day used as a home for the Classics. In 1940 Mrs. Iselin deeded the house to Brown in memory of her father. The house was turned over to the University in 1966. Mrs. Iselin died in 1970 at the age of 102. The first floor was restored to its early elegance by interior decorator Thomas F. Hagerman. A chandelier found stored in a barn was installed in the Red Room. Professor Walter Feldman restored two hand-painted ceilings. The center was dedicated on May 1, 1974 and named for Paul L. Maddock ’33, principal donor to the cost of the renovation. Named rooms on the first floor are the Brian Room, gift of Joseph A. Brian ’47; the Lanpher Room, gift of family and friends of the late Dean Edgar J. Lanpher ’19; the Goldberger Room, gift of Herbert H. Goldberger ’39; the Heritage Room, gift of Paul Maddock ’33, and the Class of 1933 Room, gift of the class on its fortieth reunion. The second floor commemorates M. Florence Krueger ’32, whose mother made a major contribution toward the cost of restoring the building. The Pembroke Club of Providence contributed to the designation of “The Pembroke College Room” for a second floor office which contained furniture and mementoes from the former Alumnae House on Meeting Street.
The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright ©1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.