From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:
The Marcus Aurelius statue which stands at the rear of Sayles Hall, facing Thayer Street through the Soldiers Memorial Gate, was unveiled on June 1, 1908. The equestrian statue, a copy of the one on Capitoline Hill in Rome, was presented by Col. Robert Hale Ives Goddard 1858 on behalf of his deceased brother Moses Brown Ives Goddard 1854. Appropriate addresses by Professor William Carey Poland on the aesthetic significance of the statue and by Professor Walter Goodnow Everett on the philosophy of Marcus Aurelius were delivered on this occasion.
The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright ©1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.