From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:
A U.S. Post Office was first installed at Brown in 1926, when it was placed in a rented section of a small building at the junction of Waterman and Brown Streets near Rockefeller Hall. When Rockefeller Hall was extended and renamed Faunce House, the Post Office was relocated to a room in the building near the arch. When the cafeteria was removed from the basement of Faunce House, the Post Office moved in and opened on February 18, 1952. With the installation of individual boxes in the student mail section, for students, carrier service to the dormitories was discontinued, and the new faculty mail room provided for the sorting of internal mail by University employees. The approximately 1,400 boxes of 1952 had grown to more than 6,000 in 1989, when the boxes were temporarily removed to the East Side post office, while the Brown post office was enlarged and renovated. The new post office, with 6,411 student boxes (in numerical order for the first time in years) was rededicated on October 16, 1989, with regional postmaster Wallace Kido presiding and the release of 1,200 commemorative envelopes, decorated by reproduction of a photograph of the coat of arms over the Van Wickle Gates and a print of the front campus in the middle of the nineteenth century.
The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright ©1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.